By Michael W. (Mick) Stewart BST CFT (ISSA)
1. The best time to burn bodyfat is in the early morning on an empty stomach. You can work out with weights or do cardio - either way you will burn more bodyfat than at any other time of day.
2. Stop eating carbohydrates (grains, breads, pasta, potatoes, rice, etc.) by 6pm. Do not eat carbs after 6pm!
3. Stop eating all together by 7pm. That means *no* food or snacks after 7pm. Your body will be forced to eat its stored bodyfat for energy. When you wake up in the morning, you will be *starving* - use that early morning time to walk, do cardio or weight lift to burn even more bodyfat.
4. You must eat 4-6 small meals a day to maintain a healthy immune system and metabolic response. Eating 1-2 large (or small meals) does nothing but destroy your body's ability to fight infection (colds, etc.) and burn bodyfat. You are, essentially, starving your body of nutrients and enrgy if you do this. Plan your meals out; cook everything on Sunday; store them in plastic containers in the fridge and nuke (microwave) each meal when your hungry.
5. You must ingest a substantial amount of protein to build muscle - period. For every pound of bodyweight, eat one gram of protein, i.e., if you weight 150lbs, you will need to eat 150gr of protein per day. If not, then eat at least 75% of your bodyweight in protein. However, there is a catch here: if you stop working out while continuing to eat large amounts of protein, that protein you ingest will turn into bodyfat. You must workout while taking in substantial amounts of protein!
6. You must lift weights to gain lean muscle - period. There is no other way around this. You can either join a gym and learn the hard way or hire a personal trainer to teach you the proper technique of weightlifting and cardiovascular exercise. But you must lift weights. Which means = you must sweat!
7. You must do cardio at least 2-3 a week to burn excess calories. This means walking, fastwalking, running, sprints or plyometrics .
8. You must drink at least 5-6 glasses of purified water per day to clean the system, maintain healthy excretion and clean your colon.
9. You must either cut down or stop excess drinking - period. Alcohol is a good thing - dont go overboard.
10. You must stick with it. If you have "give-up-itis" when it comes to sweating, your not gonna make it. The woods are filled with the usual people who simply will not put the time, effort, money, energy and blood, sweat and tears into changing their body, instead opting for the magic pill (Jenny Craig, Nutrisystem, etc.) Realize one thing: Jenny Craig and Nutrisystem work - but most people will not even stick with that ... they want an easy way out. There is no easy way out. You must sweat. You must suffer in order to get the body you want.
eat healthy * lift heavy
(c) copyright. 2001-2008.
mike stewart fitness.com