Monday, October 1, 2007

I WILL BE JOINING YOU! ...

....please be advised that I will be working out with all of you this month for at least a minimum of one (1) workout. Currently, I work out with one of my clients for thirty minutes of his workout, which is a combination of cardio / weight-lifting. It's great. I get a free workout (woohoo) but my client gets a chance to see me in action in order to understand the full range of motion, correct procedure and engaged emotion. However, its my policy to work out with everyone for at least one workout. I do this for several reasons:

First, proper execution. I want to actively engage with you during the exercise routines by exercising through an entire set, as opposed to just telling you what to do: "...okay, you do this here, now lift this up there. Got it? Great. Go!" I have found out that its best to work out with my clients at least once during their tenure with me so that they can benefit by watching the exercise being fully executed through ten sets ... properly. Form is proper execution (as Vince Gironda once said) but the key to this is watching how a full set is executed.

Second, emotion. If you show no emotion during exercise, you need to. However, this doesnt mean that your doing the exercise wrong, it just means that I can provide a bit of encouragement so you can see my emotions (fully engaged) during the exercise. Emotion is a combination of several things: its gut instinct, its "fake-it-till-you-make-it" (if you've had a bad day at work, don't fret about it but pretend your engaged ... eventually your body will engage with you) and its creating a link with your inner emotions. Forget your inner child. Find your inner barbarian! Tap into those internal emotional depths and open up. Also, dont forget that music plays a big role here as well ( see the study here, but you already knew that). As most of you know, when I work out, I turn the music UP ... ALL THE WAY. It's not vanity, but rather a chance to harness a bit more emotion to make heavy lifts.

Third, to sweat with you. Thats pretty simple, right?

So, some time this month, I will join in a workout with you.

No comments: